Health benefits of sweet potatoes
Health Benefits of sweet potatoes
Sweet potatoes are a highly nutritious compared to other root vegetables. They are large, sweet, tuberous root vegetable. The young leaves of sweet potatoes are edible. Sweet potatoes are available in different colors like red,pink and cream color. Sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin A,fiber and Potassium. Studies shows sweet potatoes reduces the risk of obesity,diabetics and heart diseases.
100g of sweet potatoes contains
- 86 calories
- 1.6 grams of protein
- 20 grams Carbohydrate
- 55 milligrams of Sodium
- 337 milligrams of Potassium
- 0 grams of Cholesterol
Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes
1. Good source of vitamin C.
As we all know Vitamin C important build immune system. Vitamin C fight against cold,cough and flu. Sweet potatoes are filled Vitamn C and it helps in bone formation, blood cell formation etc…
2. Helps to maintain blood pressure
We should reduce the consumption of sodium and increase the intake of potassium to maintain good blood pressure level. 100 g of sweet potatoes contains 337 milligrams of potassium.
3. Support healthy immune system
Sweet potatoes contains irons which plays an important role in our body like production of red blood cells and white blood cells and provide better immune system. It protects us form harmful bacteria and viruses
4. Prevents constipation
Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber(12% fiber contains in 100 g of sweet potato) it regulates digestive tract and prevents constipation. Natural laxatives in sweet potatoes give you relief from constipation.
5. Reduces Sugar level in your body
Sweet potatoes contains fibers which helps to reduce the sugar craving. The person who consumes more fiber has low glucose levels. Include sweet potatoes in your daily diet in the form of curry, salad,stir fry,baked dishes,soups etc…
6. Rich in Antioxidants (Lignans)
Purple colored sweet potato contains rich amount of antioxidant anthocyanin pigments. This antioxidants helps to prevent the digestive tract problems. It lower the potential health risk posed by heavy metals and oxygen radicals. They are also rich in antioxidants, lignans, protein, dietary fiber, and potassium.
8.Sweet potatoes are good for pregnant women
The vitamin A and vitamin C present in sweet potatoes is also essential during pregnancy and lactation. One cup of baked sweet potato contains 39 mg of vitamin C and 1.38 mg of iron. But over consumption of sweet potatoes may leads to miscarriage,birth defects etc…
How to use it
- Cook sweet potatoes with water and little salt. When it is cooked,remove the skin and serve.
- We can make fries with sweet potato.
- We can make stir fries,soups,cakes and curries with sweet potatoes
How to grow sweet potatoes at home
We can plant the sweet potatoes in normal pots. For that we need mature sweet potatoes we buy from shops. Cut the sweet potatoes in 2-3 large pieces and wrap it using news paper and keep in dark place for 1 week. After one week you can see small shoots started to come from sweet potatoes. Plant the sweet potatoes in pots and water well. You can plant 2 pieces in one pot. Water once in a day. It will take 3-4 months to harvest sweet potatoes. I would like to share my sweet potato harvesting picture with you.
You can also check for the below posts related to :
- Health benefits of sweet potatoes
- Health benefits of roasted gram/pottukadalai
- Health benefits of grains
- Health benefits of amla/gooseberry
- Health benefits of barley
- Health benefits of flax seeds
- Health benefits of dates
- Health benefits of kudampuli/gambooge
- Health benefits of turmeric
- Health benefits of seafood
- Top 10 cholesterol lowering foods
- 5 must eat nutrients for kids