Health Benefits of Flax seeds | Alsi seeds
Health Benefits of Flax seeds
Flax seed also known as linseed or common flax that is grown in cooler region of the world. The stem of flax contains fiber which is used to make linen cloths. The seeds are used in food products. Flax seeds are rich in omega3 and many other nutrients.
Flax seeds produces an edible vegetable oil which is used in many food products. Flax seeds come in two varieties yellow and brown both have same nutritional characteristics.
100g of flax seed contains
- 534 calories
- 20 grams of protein
- 40 grams of fat
- 28 grams of fiber
Flax seeds contains 54% omega-3 fatty acids
Health Benefits of Flax Seeds
1. Helps to protect your Heart
Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA) contributes to the maintenance of normal blood cholesterol levels. Having flax seeds on a daily basis help to reduce the blood pressure and level of LDL(Bad Cholesterol) in the body there by reduces the risk of cardio vascular issues. Flax seed is rich in soluble fiber that helps in maintaining the cholesterol levels. It also reduces the risk of oxidative stress in the blood vessels.
2. Fights against prostate cancer
Researches shown that flax seeds prevents the production and growth of cancerous cells. Flax seed has been shown to significantly reduce the tumor growth rate.
3. Reduces the risk of Arthritis
Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) present in flax seed helps to block the production inflammatory agents present in our body. Flax seed consumption is very helpful for Arthritis patients.
4. Improves immunity
Flax seeds improves the immunity power of our body. It is rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acid which protects us form harmful bacteria and viruses
5. Reduces Sugar level in your body
Flax seeds are high in fiber but it is very low in carbohydrate. Flax seeds contains both soluble and insoluble fibers which helps to reduce the sugar carving. Include flax seeds in your daily diet in the form of smoothie, salad topping etc…
6. Rich in Antioxidants (Lignans)
Most plant foods contain at least small amounts of phytonutrients called lignans.Flax seeds ranked No 1 in the presence of lignans. They are also rich in antioxidants,B vitamins, lignans, protein, dietary fiber, and potassium.
7. Relieves constipation
Insoluble fiber present in flax seeds can help prevent digestive problems. Natural laxatives in flax seeds give you relief from constipation.
8. Menopausal Symptoms
The flax seed oil helps regulate menstruation and reduce menopause symptoms. A regular intake of flax seed help to regularize the hormonal imbalance in your body.
Side effects of flax seeds
- People are having irritable bowl movement issues should consult doctor before consuming flax seeds.
- According to research people suffering from Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis should not consume flax seeds
How to use it
- You can use flax seed powder(Powder the seed using a grinder) in smoothies
- Have flax seed powder with yogurt. It is an excellent source of protein.
- Use it as salad topping.
- Can use in baked foods like cakes,muffins etc…
- Flax seed oil is a good moisturizer.
- You can use flax seeds while making bread and roti.
- Use flax seed oil instead of butter or other kind of oil while baking cakes
You can also check for the below posts related to :
- Health benefits of sweet potatoes
- Health benefits of roasted gram/pottukadalai
- Health benefits of grains
- Health benefits of amla/gooseberry
- Health benefits of barley
- Health benefits of ajwain
- Health benefits of dates
- Health benefits of kudampuli/gambooge
- Health benefits of turmeric
- Health benefits of seafood
- Top 10 cholesterol lowering foods
- 5 must eat nutrients for kids